Adventure Stag Do Madeira
Join us in adventurous Madeira for an alternative stag do destination within Europe!
Madeira is known for its warm sub-tropical climate, spectacular coastline and rugged mountains — the island is moving away from its retirement socks and sandals image and is embracing its adventurous side! A perfect destination for a group wanting an alternative stag destinaton within Europe, that’s not overrun by boozy stag parties. Stay in the lively capital city of Funchal (with its stunning seaside setting and quality restaurants) and add a day-trip canyoning in the waterfalls or coasteering on the south coast. You can also decide to go for a chilled out stag party in a rural location, surfing in Porta da Cruz. Madeira has been voted the ‘best island in the world’ several years in a row and for good reason! There’s no lack of fun outdoor activities on the Portuguese island, so there is something to suit any kind of stag weekend. For more Portugal stag do destinations, check out our Portugal Stag Do Page.
Big Blue offers unique Madeira stag do packages with stag-friendly accommodation and a range of activities, such as Jeep tours with rum distillery stop and guided mountain-biking days. We’ll put a really fun stag weekend together, tailor-made to suit your group. Don’t forget to click on the ‘package info’ section to see what else we can add to make your package complete, incl. airport transfers. So when you’re ready just hit the Quote button, call or email us direct.
Variety Of Canyoning Levels
Probably our most popular stag activity on the island is Canyoning. Explore Madeira’s stunning waterfalls on an epic adventure, abseiling down, jumping into pools and sliding down rock-formations. Level 1 and 2 are completely beginner friendly, but we can also offer level 3,4 and 5 for smaller and more experienced groups! Or why not try out L 1/2, and go up a level the next day? Canyoning in Madeira is a world-class outdoor activity that’s not to be missed!
- Abseils ranging in sizes up to 15 and 30 metres on L1 and L2 with the other levels being higher again
- Optional jumps ranging in size
- Slides and fun sections
- Many waterfalls to explore
- All kit included – just bring swimwear
- Duration is approx 4 – 5 hours in total
Beginner To Advanced
Endless Trail Options
If you fancy exploring some of Madeira’s rain forests and mountain trails, then a guided mountain-biking activity is a great option for your active stag do! Our beginner friendly tour starts at the island’s second highest peak, Pico do Areeiro, at 1818m. After a 35km bike ride the tour ends at an awesome viewpoint overlooking Porta da Cruz on the coast. Routes can be adjusted to experience and confidence levels, so just let us know what kind of mountain-biking ride you’re after!
- All mountain biking kit is included, guests just need suitable clothing, good footwear and a water-bottle
- Variety of routes available
- Choose between a half- or full-day mountain-biking activity
- Add on an orienteering challenge to the mountain biking session!
Famous Levada Walks
Take On A Mountain (1862m summit)
Madeira is famous for its world-class hikes and walking trails all across the island. Opt for a guided walk through some of the island’s famous green Levadas (historic irrigation channels), or take on a real challenge of hiking to the summit of Pico Ruivo (1862m high)! Coastal hikes are also available and easy to combine with a second activity on the day. A guided hike is a great way to explore Madeira’s incredible natural areas.
- Professional local hiking guides
- Combine your hike with other experiences such as Poncha (local alcoholic drink) making in the mountains, or swimming in natural pools
- Guests need to bring suitable shoes, hiking clothing and water
- Many ways to further enhance these adventures such as a sunrise hike or sunset finish
- Various length hikes from a few hours, 1/2 day to a full day adventure
- We can tailor hikes to fitness, confidence and the itinerary
- Add on orienteering if you want to learn some new skills
Boat Trips & Whale Watching
Private Tours Or Shared
Madeira has an incredible coastline, warm clear blue seas to play in and the chance to see marine wildlife up close. If you just want to relax and spend time with your group, a boat trip is a really good activity option to include on your stag do. See whales, dolphins and other marine life from a small rib-boat or join us on a large catamaran for a nice tour of the coastline and a stunning sunset!
- Depending on your group size you might have a private or shared boat-trip
- Whale & dolphin watching tours done with care and respect for nature
- Blue flag catamaran tours with sustainability focus
- Stop for a swim and some snorkelling
- Sunset tours
- Add on drinks and food
Madeira is one of those places that’s still under the radar for amazing surf conditions. Porto da Cruz is a great spot for a beginners surf-lesson. Not only does Madeira have a consistent swell, it offers everything you want from a tropical island for a surf lesson… volcanic black sand beaches, colourful flowers and warm waters!
- Our surf lessons are roughly 2 hours
- All kit is included
- Friendly, experienced surf coaches
- Warm sea temperatures
- All year round surf conditions
- Porto da Cruz is the main surf spot, at times we can go to Seixal as well
- Why not add on a rum distillery tour / tasting in Porto da Cruz after your group surf lesson?
Sit-On-Top Double Kayaks
Swimming & Snorkelling
Sea-kayaking in Madeira is a fun easygoing activity. Depending on where you are staying on the island, we’ll take you kayaking from Machico or Camara de Lobos. On both routes we’ll paddle along a protected nature reserve where you get the chance to spot marine life, whilst snorkelling and swimming. We’ll also stop to explore sea caves and secluded beaches.
- Double sit-on-top kayaks, very stable and great for covering some distance along the coast
- Half-day activity
- Experienced instructors & all needed equipment included
If the stag is into his rock-climbing then Madeira offers an awesome selection of routes and a variety of spots to try out! During our rock-climbing sessions you’ll learn the basics of the rope work, try your hand at climbing as well as getting the chance to abseil down. Whether you’re a beginner or experienced climbers group, Madeira has a route to fit all levels!
- 3 – 4 hour sessions
- Learn new skills or develop climbing techniques
- Experienced climbing instructors & kit included
- Beginner level 1 (Canical)
- Intermediate level 2, 10-50m climbs (Pico do Arieiro)
Private Races Available
Go-karting is always a popular choice with stag parties and Madeira’s only go-karting track offers spectacular views! Set on an outdoor track with beautiful hill views, this isn’t your average go-karting centre. The 1040m long track of Faial is located on the north side of the island.
- Go-karting here in Madeira is weather dependant (the track is closed on rainy days)
- Overalls aren’t included, so bring a pair of old clothes with you (long sleeves & trousers)
Ultimate Coastal Adventure
Variety Of Jumps
Clear Blue Waters
Coasteering always goes down well on a stag weekend. It’s a super fun watersport where you get to jump from cliffs into the big blue, swim with the swells and scramble your way across the coastline. We’ll even bring some snorkel kit so you can discover what’s swimming and living beneath the surface.
- Various jump heights from 2m up to 10m (all optional)
- Experienced instructors & all needed equipment is included
- Location is south east of the island near Canical
- Coasteering is a 3-4 hour experience including kitting up & briefing
Mega SUP & Individual Boards
Swimming & Snorkelling
Fancy an easygoing watersport? Then why not try a paddleboarding lesson / tour, starting in Camara de Lobos on the south coast of Madeira. Combine the Mega SUP which fits up to 8 people with some individual and double inflatable paddleboards and make your way along the coastline, to a protected nature reserve. Here we’ll take a break for some swimming and snorkelling. Not only is paddleboarding a fun way to explore the rugged coastline, it’s also a great core work-out!
- Two hour SUP sessions for max 12 people
- Inflatable boards, paddle, buoyancy aids and experienced instructor (no wetsuits)
- Time to go snorkelling & swimming
Explore The Island
Combine Nature & Culture
Mountains, Forests, Coasts
If you only have 2 or 3 days to visit Madeira, then a Jeep tour is the best way to cover a lot of the island and see all the amazing sights! We can tailor-make the Jeep tour to fit your itinerary and preferences. From stunning natural areas with viewpoints of rugged mountains and rain forests, to a rum distillery tour and Poncha making class/tasting, we can make the tour as engaging and long as you’d like!
- From small tours of a few hours, to half- and full days
- Food & drinks experiences / variety of meals can be included such as sunset drinks or a true Madeira BBQ
- Take time to enjoy your stops including swimming & hiking
- Why not combine an outdoor activity and enjoy a Jeep tour on the way back to your accommodation!
All Group Sizes
Variety Of Locations
Madeira offers a huge variety of hotels and we’ve partnered up with a few modern options, in the heart of Funchal as well as more remote settings, surrounded by nature. There are enough options to suit all types of stag do’s and budgets. Enjoy a beer by the pool, the views from the rooftop and a comfortable private en-suite room in one of our quality hotel options.
- Continental breakfast included
- Free wi-fi
- Modern 3* – 5* hotels
- Choose Funchal, Camara do Lobos or a more rural setting
- Single, twin and triple rooms available
- Hotels with cool facilities such as roof-top bars and outdoor pools
Apartments & Villas
Villa or Apartment
Private Or Shared Options
Funchal Or Porto Da Cruz
If you’d rather have your own place for the weekend, to relax and enjoy the company of your stag group, then a private apartment or villa in Madeira is a great option! Depending on your group size, you can also opt to just book a couple of rooms instead of the whole property. Want a sunny getaway by the coast, surrounded by tropical nature and surf-vibes? Then our villa in Porto da Cruz ticks all of the boxes with its awesome rooftop terrace and stunning sea views. If you’d rather be in the heart of Funchal, walking distance to bars & restaurants then the clean, basic yet modern apartments will suit your stag do!
- Self-catering or add-on breakfast
- Free wi-fi
- Exclusive hire or just book a couple rooms
- Double, twin and triple rooms
- Recently refurbished properties
- Choose a stay in the city or being in nature
Exclusive Hire Available
As Madeira is developing more into a younger adventurous destination, hostels are slowly starting to pop up around the island. There aren’t too many stag friendly options here, so we’ve partnered up with one of the best options for stag groups looking for a hostel stay in the heart of Funchal. This small but modern hostel offers everything needed for a comfortable stay, with a mix of bunk rooms and private rooms. The best bit of the hostel is its cool outdoor patio. Whether you’re a large stag do wanting to book the whole property or a small-medium stag party wanting to book just a few rooms, this hostel offers the flexibility for both of those options!
- A basic continental breakfast is included
- Free wi-fi
- Different room sizes available
- Bunk-beds or double beds
- Outdoor patio
- Exclusive hire available
- Book a mix of hostel and apartment rooms, to suit most groups on a budget
- Walking distance to all the restaurants and city sights of Funchal
Hosted Stag Adventures
With any of our Big Blue ‘Adventures’ we always aim for a personal customer service (Travel & Hospitality Award winners for ‘excellence in customer service’) and have friendly faces there to welcome you to your stag do in Madeira. We are on hand to host the key parts so you can sit back and relax, we’ll do the organising for you and bring some good vibes too!
Pics & Highlights Video
On a hosted adventure we take our GoPro cameras and shoot some cool pictures & videos. We’ll send these to you afterwards and even edit a personal highlights video for your stag group, the best way to remember your trip!
If you need transport from your accommodation to our activities then we can arrange that for you, in fact it is usually expected on a group trip like a stag weekend. We have mini-busses & Jeeps available for groups of all sizes. Our mini-busses are also available for airport transfers, night out returns to Funchal and various day-trips to surrounding areas for some extra exploring.
Meals & Drinks
You can choose between Bed & Breakfast, half board or all-inclusive for your stag party. We can also add extras like a drinks package, packed-lunch and BBQ nights. Just add it to your ‘quote’ options and we will get that included in your stag package!
Stag Do Extras
There are lots of extras we can add to your stag do in Portugal, including help with reservations in restaurants & bars. If you have any ideas, or would like more info on the extras we can provide, feel free to ask us on the get quote page.
Why Adventure With Us…
Our Big Blue destinations offer great group accommodation options, good travel links and world-class adventures. We spend a lot of time at our locations and know what works well for stag groups.
Hosted group adventure travel, with numbers between 6-100+ people. BBA offers an award winning service; we’ll always go the extra mile to ensure our packages are perfect for your stag do.
The best way to remember your stag weekend? A highlights video that captures all the best moments of your adventure. Video & pictures are included in all of our full packages.
We enjoyed it so much I decided to organise my brothers stag do through them as well. The whole weekend was perfectly organised from start to finish.
Everything was sorted for us. From our activities coasteering and sea kayaking to our food/drinks and a brewery tour. It was so good being able to switch off and enjoy our weekend knowing Big Blue had taken care of everything.
I couldn’t recommend Big Blue Adventures highly enough and can’t wait for my next adventure with them!read more
More Adventure Stag Do’s
Why We Love This…
“I love the Portuguese island because it feels like it’s a million miles away from the mainland of Europe in terms of how unique, remote and jaw dropping the scenery is, it’s on another level – like a small Hawaii just an extra hour’s flight away from Lisbon. I’d highly suggest canyoning, surfing and exploring the Levadas by Jeep, followed by some good food and a few well-earned drinks, soaking up a world-class Madeira sunset.“
Founder & Co-owner