Outdoor Activities Portugal
Fun watersports and outdoor activities in Lisbon, Algarve & Madeira in Portugal
Next to our best selling activites (such as surfing & coasteering) we offer a great range of other outdoor activities that are easy to combine on an adventure weekend or short break in Portugal. Whether you are staying in Lisbon & Cascais, West Algarve & Lagos or Madeira Island, there is a whole adventure playground waiting for you.
From tuk tuk tours to rock-climbing and from sailing to mountain-biking, take a look at our best selling and other outdoor activity options below and just let us know what activity in Portugal you fancy. We can put a tailor-made package together with accommodation, or you can simply book the activity only if you’ve already sorted your stay! When you’re ready just hit the ‘quote’ button or email us directly to start your Big Blue Adventure.
Our Best Sellers
Hit the Portuguese waves with your group on a surf lesson in Algarve, Lisbon or Madeira. With hundreds of miles of stunning beaches and consistent swells, Portugal is an awesome surf destination!
Get your adrenaline hit coasteering on the incredible rugged coastline of Portugal. Abseil & zipline across rock-formations, discover cave systems, jump off cliffs and swim with the swells!
Canyoning on Madeira island in Portugal is world-class and suitable for all experience levels. It’s an outdoor activity lover’s dream, with big abseils alongside waterfalls, fun jumps and cool rapids.
Sesimbra & Madeira
We offer scenic rock-climbing in Portugal on the coastlines of the Arrabida Natural Park by Sesimbra not far from Lisbon and also on Madeira island. Enjoy a day in the outdoors with rugged areas to climb and steep cliffs to abseil down. All of our rock-climbing activities in Portugal are beginner friendly but can also be adjusted to suit more experienced climbers.
- Experienced instructors
- All needed equipment included (bring waterproofs and good shoes)
- Our rock-climbing adventures usually last between 3/4 hours incl. briefing
Lisbon, Lagos & Madeira
Sit back and relax on one of our sailing trips along the Lisbon coast & Tagus River, see the famous Grottos on a sailing trip from Lagos in Algarve or hop on board in Madeira’s capital Funchal. Stop off for some swimming and sunbathing, and enjoy a BBQ with drinks on board to complete your group activity. You may even spot some dolphins along the way!
- Experienced captain & crew
- Our sailing trips are half-day, full-day or multi-night
- Choose a sunset sail!
- Various size boats, incl. catamarans and sailing yachts
If you fancy a watersport that is a bit more easygoing then why not try sea-kayaking in Portugal? The Arrabida Natural Park is a beautiful area just an hour’s drive from Lisbon and the perfect spot to go sea-kayaking with your group. The rugged coastline showcases awesome rock-formations, white sandy beaches and clear blue waters. We can also offer sea-kayaking in West Algarve where you get to explore the famous Grottos or in Madeira where you can combine it to a nice stop off in the picturesque seaside town of Camara do Lobos.
- Experienced instructors & all needed equipment (incl. single or double kayaks, and wetsuits in colder weather)
- Why not combine sea-kayaking with snorkelling? We can bring extra kit
- Our kayaking adventures are between 3-4 hours
Portugal is hiker’s paradise! From coastal hikes in Costa Vicentina National Park in Algarve and Sao Lourenco on Madeira Island, to mountainous walks in Sintra Natural Park near Lisbon and the rugged mountains & Levadas in Madeira. There is a huge variety of hiking trails and we can offer a route to suit most fitness levels.
- Experienced local hiking guides
- Tailor-made hiking routes
- Why not opt for a sunset or sunrise hike to make it even more spectacular?
Beach Yoga & SUP Yoga
Whether you’re an experienced Yogi or have never tried yoga before, our beach-yoga sessions are great fun for all levels. We usually take our groups for beach-yoga to Cascais near Lisbon, Arrifana or Monte Clérigo in Algarve or Madeira. Yoga is a great way to warm up before your second activity of the day, such as a surf-lesson. In Cascais we also offer SUP Yoga, which is a yoga session on a paddleboard to make it more challenging and add a bit of extra fun!
- Our beach-yoga sessions are around 45 min-1 hour
- Experienced yoga teacher (bring a beach towel and comfy clothes!)
- Why not add a surf lesson or paddleboarding adventure to complete your group trip?
Tuk Tuk Tours
Lisbon & Sintra
One of the most fun and relaxing ways to explore a city or natural area is by Tuk Tuk! Our tours are tailor-made so if you fancy a food & drinks tour (Lisbon & Lagos) we can do that or visit the unique palaces & castles of Sintra. Tuk Tuk Tours are a fun way to explore Portugal’s beautiful areas in a short time.
- Tuk Tuks fit up to 6 people, we can add as many as you need for your group size
- Most tours are between 2-4 hours incl. food stops
- English speaking drivers / guides
Whale & Dolphin Watching
Arrabida Natural Park & Madeira
Madeira is famous for its whale watching tours as there is a huge variety of whales & dolphins to spot close to the capital of Funchal. Opt for a rib-boat ride to get up close or relax on board of a larger sailboat. Dolphin watching in Sesimbra in the Arrabida Natural Park near Lisbon, is done in small groups in rib-boats. With regular dolphin pods visiting the area, there is a good chance you’ll spot a lot of them!
- Experienced English speaking guides with good knowledge of the marine life
- Bring clothes for all weather conditions
A really fun way to let loose on your group adventure in the Portuguese countryside or on the Guincho coast is on one of our quad-biking activities. Our quad-biking locations are at roughly half an hour drive from Lisbon. Choose a standard 1 hour quad-biking session or go on a coastal exploration with a 3 hour journey!
- Experienced instructors & all needed equipment (bring a set of old clothes)
- Great for small-medium sized groups
- We can include a transfer from your accommodation
Mountain-Biking / Cycling
Portugal might not be known as a mountain-biking destination, but the country actually offers a huge amount of mountain-biking trails along the coast as well as up in the mountains. Next to proper mountain-biking we can also provide some more easygoing cycling tours and you can even opt for an electric bike so you can really cover some distance and explore this amazing country. Big Blue offers guided mountain-bike tours across Sintra Natural Park, Cascais, Lisbon, Costa Vicentina in Algarve and also in Madeira. Whether you’re a complete beginner and want to enjoy the scenery or an experienced mountain-biker looking to go proper off road, we can adjust all the routes to fit your level.
- Experienced mountain-biking instructors
- Quality bikes
- half-day or full-day guided mountain-bike tours
- You can also choose an easygoing scenic ride
- Large variety of routes available to suit all levels
Arrabida Natural Park & Madeira
4×4 Jeep Tours are a popular way to explore the the breathtaking landscapes of Madeira or the Arrabida Natural Park near Lisbon. It’s a more adventurous mode of transport allowing us to cover great distances while also getting up close to nature. On our tours we can stop off at some of Madeira’s highlights along the way: from swimming in the natural pools, drinking Poncha with a west coast sunset to being wowed by amazing high viewing points. In the Arrabida Natural Park we can also include a Portuguese wine tasting and you’ll be able to see some medieval castles on route!
- From small tours for a few hours, to 1/2 days and full days
- Food & drinks experiences / variety of meals included such as sunset drinks or a true Portuguese BBQ
- Take time to enjoy your stops including swimming & hiking
- Ask us about turning jeep tours into a team building challenge
An activity classic! Paintballing is a competitive and challenging outdoor activity, with a fun variety of game zones. Play against your own crew or team up together and compete against another group. Lagos in West Algarve offers a great spot for paintballing, surrounded by forestry with both natural & artificial objects to hide behind.
- All needed equipment, overalls and 400 paintballs included
- A variety of games zones
- All kit included (masks, overalls, guns)
Discover Lisbon’s city centre and surroundings in an eco-friendly way by jumping on an electric scooter! The local guide can show you some of the best hidden secrets as well as the typical tourist highlights. Variety of tours with different locations and tour durations available.
- Local Portuguese English speaking guides
- Tour the Tagus River or Lisbon’s historic centre
- Great for small – medium sized groups
Transfers not included
Activity only sale
Pics & video on request
Just looking to book your activity in Portugal with us? That’s no issue at all. Prices are dependant on how many people are in your group (most of our activities require a min. of 6 participants), location of the activity and seasons – so please contact us through the website chat, get a quote or call us today to find out more!
Food & drinks
Pics & highlights video
Our most popular option for lots of the activities in Portugal is a hosted day trip. We’re there to take the stress off your hands and bring the good vibes and extra touches to complete the experience. With a door to door transfer service, optional inclusion of lunch / dinner to suit your budget and our team there to capture the moments with a load of great pictures and a personal highlights video for your group. The perfect adventure day out!
- Clean private minibuses or large coaches
- We can include a restaurant /cafe lunch or dinner with drinks to suit your budget and style. Packed lunches also available
- Pictures and a highlights video
- Competitions for ‘Adventurer of the day’ where the winner get’s a cool prize
- Add in extra sight-seeing, or why not double up on the adventures?
One or multiple activities
Big Blue Adventures specialises in package adventure travel for groups and provide tailor-made getaways with outdoor activities in Portugal at the heart of your trip! Whether you want a weekend break on a stag or hen do, an active team building retreat, kids-camp or a large family holiday in Portugal – we offer adventure travel for all types of groups with an award winning service and quality options.
- A range of outdoor adventures
- Cultural sightseeing and exploring extras
- Range of group accommodation options
- Local transfers
- Food & drink packages
- Friendly local Big Blue hosts as your go-to
- Pictures & highlights video of your trip
Why Adventure With Us…
Why We Love This…
“Our other outdoor activity options are perfect for adding to our best selling watersports & adventures in Portugal, a favourite of mine being a tuk tuk tour or sunset sailing trip. But, they are also awesome fun on their own. Some days you may just want to mix things up and these outdoor activities show another great side to amazing Portugal.”
Daniel – Co-Owner