Adventure Hen Do Madeira
Join us in subtropical Madeira for a unique hen party destination within Europe!
Portugal has become a popular hen do destination over recent years, and stunning Madeira island is the country’s up and coming adventure hen location. If you’re after a hen do with a difference, then Madeira will tick all of the boxes! An island with year round warm temperatures, just 4 hours by plane from London or Amsterdam, and known for its world-class outdoor activities. Begin your day with a private surf lesson in Porto da Cruz or explore the island’s subtropical nature on a guided Jeep tour, followed by an authentic Poncha making class (Madeira’s local alcoholic drink). Enjoy an evening out in the capital city Funchal, which is nicely nestled in between the mountains and the coast. Funchal has a great selection of restaurants and is easy to get around, discover the city’s street art and Portuguese architecture on foot.
For more Portugal hen do destinations, check out our Portugal Hen Weekend Page.
Big Blue offers unique Madeira hen do packages, with hen-friendly accommodation and a range of activities, like paddleboarding lessons and guided hikes. We’ll put a really fun hen weekend together, tailor-made to suit your group. Don’t forget to click on the ‘extras’ section to see what we can add to make your package complete, incl. airport transfers and local exploring. When you’re ready just hit the Quote button or email us direct.
Madeira is one of those places that’s still under the radar for amazing surf conditions. Porto da Cruz is a great spot for a beginners surf-lesson. Not only does Madeira have a consistent swell, it offers everything you want from a tropical island for a surf lesson… volcanic black sand beaches, colourful flowers and warm waters!
- Our surf lessons are roughly 2 hours
- All kit is included
- Friendly, experienced surf coaches
- Warm sea temperatures
- All year round surf conditions
- Porto da Cruz is the main surf spot, at times we can go to Seixal as well
- Why not add on a rum distillery tour / tasting in Porto da Cruz after your group surf lesson?
- Add-on a yoga session from the hilltop in Porto da Cruz!
Famous Levada Walks
Mountain & Coastal Hike
Explore Sub-Tropical Nature
Madeira is famous for its world-class hikes and walking trails all across the island. Opt for a guided walk through some of the island’s famous green Levadas (historic irrigation channels), or take on a real challenge of hiking to the summit of Pico Ruivo (1862m high)! Coastal hikes are also available and easy to combine with a second activity on the day. A guided hike is a great way to explore Madeira’s incredible subtropical natural areas.
- Professional local hiking guides
- Combine your hike with other experiences such as Poncha (local alcoholic drink) making in the mountains, or swimming in natural pools
- Guests need to bring suitable shoes, hiking clothing and water
- Many ways to further enhance these adventures such as a sunrise hike or sunset finish
- Various length hikes from a few hours, 1/2 day to a full day adventure
- We can tailor hikes to fitness, confidence and the itinerary
- Add on orienteering if you want to learn some new skills
Explore The Island
Combine Nature & Culture
Mountains, Forests, Coasts
If you only have 2 or 3 days to visit Madeira, then a Jeep tour is the best way to cover a lot of the island and see all the amazing sights! We can tailor-make the Jeep tour to fit your itinerary and preferences. From stunning natural areas with viewpoints of rugged mountains and rain forests, to swimming in natural pools and a Poncha making class/tasting, we can make the tour as engaging and long as you’d like!
- From small tours of a few hours, to half- and full days
- Food & drinks experiences / variety of meals & drinks can be included such as sunset drinks or a authentic Poncha making class
- Take time to enjoy your stops including swimming & hiking
- Why not combine an outdoor activity and enjoy a Jeep tour on the way back to your accommodation!
Boat Tours & Whale Watching
Private Tours Or Shared
Be wowed by the vast array of marine life that swim the shores of Madeira island. From dolphins to whales, depending on the season you’ll be able to get up close with a variety of amazing wildlife from a small rib-boat. If you’d rather opt for a more chilled out day on the water, then the group catamarans are a fantastic option. Madeira has warm clear blue seas to play in and you will also have the chance to see marine wildlife (just not as many or as close up as with a whale watching boat tour). Make your catamaran boat trip even more special by setting sail at sunset!
- Depending on your group size you might have a private or shared boat-trip
- Whale & dolphin watching tours done with care and respect for nature
- Blue flag catamaran tours with sustainability focus
- Stop for a swim and some snorkelling
- Sunset tours
- Add on drinks and food
Walking Tour Funchal
Street Art & Architecture
Food & Drink Stops
Cable Car & Basket Ride
Funchal might be small for a capital city, but it comes with a lot of character and cultural highlights! Let us take your hen group on a private guided walking tour around the city. From funky street art to modern promenades, and from a cable car ride to Funchal’s popular toboggan downhill thrill, and to relaxing with a glass of Poncha enjoying the awesome views. We can tailor-make the route and duration of our walking tour to suit your group!
Variety Of Canyoning Levels
Abseiling & Fun Jumps
Immerse Yourself In Nature
One of the island’s most thrilling activities! Explore Madeira’s stunning waterfalls on an amazing adventure, abseiling down, jumping into pools and sliding down rock-formations. Level 1 and 2 are completely beginner friendly, but we can also offer level 3,4 and 5 for smaller and more experienced groups! Or why not try out L 1/2, and go up a level the next day? Canyoning in Madeira is a world-class outdoor activity that’s not to be missed on an adventure hen do!
- Abseils ranging in sizes up to 15 and 30 metres on L1 and L2 with the other levels being higher again
- Optional jumps ranging in size
- Slides and fun sections
- Many waterfalls to explore
- All kit included – just bring swimwear
- Duration is approx 4 – 5 hours in total
Fun Coastal Adventure
Variety Of Jumps
Clear Blue Waters
Coasteering is a super fun, beginner friendly watersport where you get to jump from rock formations into the big blue, swim with the swells and scramble your way across the coastline. We’ll even bring some snorkel kit so you can discover what’s swimming and living beneath the surface.
- Various jump heights from 2m up to 10m (all optional)
- Experienced instructors & all needed equipment is included
- Location is south east of the island near Canical
- Coasteering is a 3-4 hour experience including kitting up & briefing
Beginner To Advanced
Endless Trail Options
If you fancy exploring some of Madeira’s rain forests and mountain trails on your active hen weekend, then a guided mountain-bike activity is a great option! Our beginner friendly tour starts at the island’s second highest peak, Pico do Areeiro, at 1818m. After a 35km bike ride the tour ends at an awesome viewpoint overlooking Porta da Cruz on the coast. Routes can be adjusted to experience and confidence levels, so just let us know what kind of mountain-biking ride the girls are after!
- All mountain biking kit is included, guests just need suitable clothing, good footwear and a water-bottle
- Variety of routes available
- Choose between a half- or full-day mountain-biking activity
- Add on an orienteering challenge to the mountain biking session!
Learn To Climb
If the hen is into her rock-climbing then Madeira offers an awesome selection of routes and a variety of spots to try out! During our rock-climbing sessions you’ll learn the basics of the rope work, try your hand at climbing as well as getting the chance to abseil down. Whether you’re a beginner or experienced climbers group, Madeira has a route to suit all levels!
- 3 – 4 hour sessions
- Learn new skills or develop climbing techniques
- Experienced climbing instructors & kit included
- Beginner level 1 (Canical)
- Intermediate level 2, 10-50m climbs (Pico do Arieiro)
Mega SUP & Individual Boards
Swimming & Snorkelling
One of our most popular hen activities in Madeira is a paddleboarding lesson / tour, starting in Camara de Lobos on the south coast of the island. Combine the Mega SUP, which fits up to 8 people, with some individual- and double inflatable paddleboards, and make your way along the coastline to a protected nature reserve. Here we’ll take a break for some swimming and snorkelling. Not only is paddleboarding a fun way to explore the rugged coastline, it’s also a great core work-out and an easy to learn watersport!
- Two hour SUP sessions for max 12 people
- Inflatable boards, paddle, buoyancy aids and experienced instructor (no wetsuits)
- Time to go snorkelling & swimming
Sit-On-Top Double Kayaks
Swimming & Snorkelling
Explore the Madeira coastline on an easy-going sea-kayaking activity. Depending on where you are staying on the island, we’ll take you kayaking from Machico or Camara de Lobos. On both routes we’ll paddle along a protected nature reserve where you get the chance to spot marine life, whilst snorkelling and swimming. We’ll also stop off to explore sea caves and secluded beaches.
- Double sit-on-top kayaks, very stable and great for covering some distance along the coast
- Half-day activity
- Experienced instructors & all needed equipment included
- Easy to combine kayaking with a second activity on the same day
Yoga & Wellness
Yoga Amongst Nature
Beginner To Advanced
Relax In Natural Pools
A relaxing yoga session is the perfect way to complete your adventure hen do in Madeira. Join us for a beginner yoga lesson or more experienced session, on a clifftop overlooking the incredible coastline or elsewhere depending on where you are staying. Combine yoga with a Jeep tour across the island and stop off at the popular natural rockpools for a relaxing swim.
- Experienced Yogi to guide the session
- Our yoga lessons are roughly 45 min – 1 hour
- Let us know what level yogi you are and we’ll adapt the lesson!
- Add-on extra wellness options such as massages or spa days
Private Races Available
Go-karting is always a popular choice no matter what kind of group your are and Madeira’s only go-karting track offers spectacular views! Set on an outdoor track with beautiful hill surroundings, this isn’t your average go-karting centre. In Faial on the north side of the island lays a 1040m long track for your hen do to take on!
- Go-karting here in Madeira is weather dependant (the track is closed on rainy days)
- Overalls aren’t included, so bring a pair of old clothes with you (long sleeves & trousers)
All Group Sizes
Variety Of Locations
Madeira offers a huge variety of hotels and we’ve partnered up with a few modern options, in the heart of Funchal as well as more remote settings, surrounded by nature. There are enough options to suit all types of hen do’s and budgets. Enjoy a cocktail by the pool, the views from the rooftop and a comfortable private en-suite room in one of our quality hotel options.
Apartments / Villas
Villa or Apartment
Private Or Shared Options
Funchal Or Porto Da Cruz
If you’d rather have your own place for the weekend, to relax and enjoy the company of your hen group, then a private apartment or villa in Madeira is a great option! Depending on your group size, you can also opt to just book a couple of rooms instead of the whole property. Want a sunny getaway by the coast, surrounded by tropical nature and surf-vibes? Then our villa in Porto da Cruz ticks all of the boxes with its lovely rooftop terrace and stunning views. If you’d rather be in the heart of Funchal, walking distance to bars & restaurants then the clean, basic yet modern apartments will suit your hen do!
Exclusive Hire Available
As Madeira is developing more into a younger adventurous destination, hostels are slowly starting to pop up around the island. There aren’t too many hen friendly options here, so we’ve partnered up with one of the best options for hen groups looking for a hostel stay in the heart of Funchal. This small but modern hostel offers everything needed for a comfortable stay, with a mix of bunk rooms and private rooms. The best bit of the hostel is its nice outdoor patio. Whether you’re a large hen do wanting to book the whole property or a small-medium hen party wanting to book just a few rooms, this hostel offers the flexibility for both of those options!
Why Adventure With Us…
Our Big Blue destinations offer great group accommodation options, good travel links and world-class adventures. We spend a lot of time at our locations and know what works well for hen do’s.
The best way to remember your hen weekend? A highlights video that captures all the best moments of your adventure. Video & pictures are included in all of our full packages.
More Adventure Hen Do’s
Why We Love This…
“I love how undiscovered Madeira still is for adventures and fun outdoor activities for groups.. if you want to get away from overcrowded hen do destinations in Europe and want to go somewhere unique, then Madeira is a top destination for an awesome hen weekend! My favourite activities are exploring the island’s incredible subtropical nature on a guided hike, or a private surf lesson in Porto da Cruz followed by an amazing sunset with some tasty Poncha.”
Heleen – Co-owner