Active Corporate Retreats & Team Building in Madeira
Join us in Madeira for the ultimate team building or incentives getaway with stunning nature and outdoor activities
How about taking your team on a trip to the Hawaii of Europe? Madeira is a beautiful island destination (voted ‘best island in the world’ several times) with lush sub-tropical nature, mountain peaks at nearly 2000m and dramatic coastlines, perfect for an active team building retreat. We have something for everyone here, from breath-taking hikes, to surfing and world-class canyoning – not to forget exploring and Poncha (a popular local drink)! If you’re still in the planning stage, you might also like to check out our wider Team Building Activities Portugal and our Team Building Wales Packages.
Big Blue Adventures offers quality company retreats, combining group-friendly accommodation such as villas & hotels with a range of activities & experiences and from covering the essentials like local travel, food & drink to your important meetings and events. We tailor everything to your team’s needs, pulling in our expert knowledge and partnerships to deliver the perfect team getaway in Madeira. When you’re ready, contact us via the quote button, the website chat or call us today.
Range of fun jumps
Madeira is well known for world-class canyoning and our team here are passionate locals who provide a safe, fun and professional adventure – perfect for those teams who want to push some boundaries! We have various levels from 1 up to 5, with L1 and L2 being suitable for complete beginners. Explore the island in a unique and adventurous way!
- Abseils ranging in sizes up to 15 and 30 metres on L1 and L2 with the other levels going far higher again
- Optional jumps ranging in size
- Slides and fun sections
- Many waterfall sections
- Explore beautiful Madeira nature up close
- All kit included – just bring swimwear
- Duration is approx 4 – 5 hours in total
- Can split teams between Level 1 and Level 2 depending on confidence levels
- Please contact us about the more extreme levels 3 – 5 if you wish to explore these
Beginner to advanced
Amazing tropical vibes
Quality lesson with low ratios
The Hawaii of Europe produces super picturesque surf spots with clean warm sea water all year round. We surf typically on the north east of Madeira for beginners and for the pros out there the west coast has been called world-class by Kelly Slater himself. Surf lessons provide a fun team building activity perfect boosting the feel good factor and has proven wellness benefits.
- Single 2-3 hour lessons we can create a multi-lesson surfcamp
- All kit included
- Friendly, experienced surf coaches who just love to get people surfing
- Warm waters
- All year round surf
- Porto da Cruz and close by is the main surf spot, at times we can do Seixal as well
- Works nicely with a yoga session before hand and a local levada walk or some Madeira rum tasting after the surf
- Feeling competitive? How about a private surf competition for your crew!
Climbing & Abseiling
Fun Team Trust Activity
Beginner to Advanced
Climbing & abseiling is a great activity for a team seeking to develop some trust and push some confidence boundaries through overcoming fears of heights. It’s also just a fun active adventure and we have a variety of options to suit all confidence and experience levels.
- 3 – 4 hour sessions
- Natural rock climbing spots
- Learn new skills or develop climbing techniques
- Can be specially adapted to be more team building focused
- Experienced climbing instructors
- Beginner level 1 (Canical)
- Intermediate level 2 10-50m climbs (Pico do Arieiro)
Team Building Challenges
Orienteering / Peddy Paper
Fun team v team games
If you’re looking for some fun team challenges and want to raise the competition amongst your group then we have plenty of great options from orienteering challenges to multi-activity adventures.
- Orienteering / map challenges in jeeps including zip-lining and hiking
- Funchal Peddy Paper including the famous basket toboggans, cable-cars, city sightseeing, photo challenges, food & wine tastings and more!
- Poncha making challenge
- Trust and communication activity challenges such as blindfold sections
- Adventure challenges to push the limits from multi-day hikes to large abseils & more. Great for team charity events!
Mountains with heights of 1862m
Famous Levada Walks
Dramatic Coastal Hikes
Madeira is a hiker’s dream. To come to this amazing sub-tropical heaven and not take in the breath-taking views on a Levada walk or similar, would be a travel crime. With up to 3000km of Levadas, amazing coastlines and the mountain peaks of Pico Ruivo to explore – you are spoiled for choice!
- Various walks available from harder full day adventures to quick scenic walks handy for adding to itineraries
- Professional local hiking guides
- Available to combine with other experiences such as Poncha making in the mountains, or swimming in natural pools for example
- Guests need to bring suitable shoes and hiking clothing
- Many ways to further enhance these adventures such as a sunrise hike or sunset finish
- Various length hikes from a few hours, 1/2 day to a full day adventure
- We can tailor hikes to fitness, confidence and the itinerary
- Add on team challenges and orienteering if you want that competitive edge or to learn new skills
Great way to explore Madeira
Beginner to Advanced
Mountain biking around Madeira is such a fun outdoor activity and a fantastic way to get close and explore the stunning landscapes on the island. We have so much variety to offer beginner, intermediate to more advanced technical riders. Our normal 1/2 day ride starts at the epic Pico Arieiro standing at 1818m and adventures down through a variety of terrains giving you a really exciting experience. Great activity for teams of all sizes.
- All mountain biking kit included, guests just need suitable clothing, good shoes and water etc
- Variety of routes available
- Typically a 1/2 day adventure but we can do full day or multi-day mountain biking rides
- You can add team challenges and orienteering to the mountain biking session
- Small to large groups
Jeep Tours & Exploring
Explore Levadas, Mountains & Coast
Combine Nature & Culture
Small to Large Groups
Jeep Tours are a popular way to explore the the breath-taking landscapes of Madeira. It’s a more adventurous mode of transport allowing us to cover great distances while also getting up close to nature. On our tours we can stop off at some of Madeira’s highlights along the way: from swimming in the natural pools, drinking Poncha with a west coast sunset to being wowed by amazing high viewing points.
- From small tours for a few hours, to 1/2 days and full days
- Explore a variety of nature from forests, mountains, Levadas, waterfalls, dramatic coastlines to soaking up culture with the locals
- Food & drinks experiences / variety of meals included such as sunset drinks or a true Madeira BBQ
- Take time to enjoy your stops including swimming & hiking
- Ask us about turning jeep tours into a team building challenge
- Add in Poncha making with mountain views
- Add in cultural experiences such as a Madeira BBQ or the rum factory tour in Porto da Cruz
- Madeira wine tasting experiences
Indoor Or Outdoor Yoga
Yoga is far more than stretching and attempting to touch your toes in style. Yoga is in fact a balanced mind-body practice with energising breathing exercises, combined with flowing physical poses that work perfectly as a great way to combat stress. We have variations of yoga we can adapt to your team building retreat, whether we are going for office relaxation or if we are using the yoga to warm up for a day of adventure. The perfect ingredient for any corporate retreat in Madeira, whether you want to add this as a side activity to your adventure break or if your main focus is wellness & health.
- Beginner to advanced sessions
- From outdoor yoga by the coast to indoor yoga at private venues or at your accommodation if feasible
- Typically up to 45 min – 1 hour per session
- We can add playful elements to get people working together on certain yoga sessions
- Yoga is easy to combine with other activities such as surfing and makes a great warm up session!
- Office targeted yoga with the aim you can take these practices back home with you
- Ask us about adding on an online yoga follow up session post retreat, so our instructor can take the yoga to your office via Zoom!
Boat Tours & Whale Watching
Whale Watching Tours
Private Coastal Tours
Madeira has such a stunning coastline offering a variety of terrains, warm clear blue seas to play in and the chance to see some marine wildlife up close. A boat trip therefore is a really good activity option to include on your corporate trip.
- Rhib boats and large catamarans available for a variety of tours
- Whale & dolphin watching tours done with care and respect for nature
- Blue flag catamaran tours with sustainability a central focus
- Stop for a swim, snorkelling and other fun
- Desertas Islands with a stop on the islands to explore (9 hour tour)
- Sunset tours
- Add on drinks and food
- Boat sizes from rhib boats (zodiac) for 16 people to catamarans for 70 to 200 people
Sit on-top kayaks
Amazing coastal views
Snorkelling & swimming
Sea kayaking is a fun, easy going watersport and a great way to get out on the water, connecting closer to the coastline of Madeira. You will be treated to amazing scenery and have a nice perspective of the island from the kayak. We can take your team on a variety of routes at different locations, adding in time for snorkelling and a swim in the clear warm Madeira water!
- Double sit on-top kayaks, easy to get going and great for covering some distance along the coast
- Various size groups: small to large
- South east Madeira (Machico), Funchal Bay or Camara do Lobos
- 3 – 4 hours activity
Ultimate Coastal Adventure
Coasteering is one of our favourites at Big Blue Adventures. It is the ultimate fun adventure, mucking around on the coast climbing, scrambling, jumping and playing in the swells. It’s a great way to get an adrenaline hit, put smiles on the team’s faces and get up close to the stunning coastline here in Madeira. It’s a natural team building activity as everyone helps each other through the course and supports bravery on jumps etc.
- Various jump heights from 2m up to 10m – (all optional)
- Flexible adventure, can be tailored to your adventure levels – something for everyone!
- Basic level of swimming & a moderate confidence in the water needed at least
- Safety kit, wetsuits and footwear included
- Location is south east of the island near Canical
3* – 5* Hotels
All Group Sizes
Rooftop Bars & Pools
If you would like that extra level of comfort you only find in a hotel, then we have some fantastic options for your corporate retreat in Madeira. Ranging from 3* to 5* hotels to suit most budgets, complete with great features such as outdoor pools, wellness centres, conference rooms and rooftop bars overlooking picturesque places such as Funchal or Camara do Lobos, all set in fantastic locations across the island. Whether you want to tick to the sunny south or the tropical north, we have hotel options to suit all teams!
- 3* to 5* hotels
- From triple, twin and double rooms to executive suites
- En-suite rooms with all the modern touches and features you’d expect from a quality hotel
- On-site pools, gyms, fitness and wellness centres, rooftop bars & restaurants, depending on the hotel you choose
- We can run meetings and party events at the hotels
- Breakfast included
- Wi-fi and the expected essential facilities included
Villas & Guesthouses
Small To Medium Groups
Rural & Coastal Locations
Rooftop & Pool
If you really just want to get away from it all, socialise with your team and enjoy the stunning nature Madeira is famous for, then one of our private villas or guesthouses is a great option! Choose between a rural location in the north or the scenic coast of Porto da Cruz. The properties come with some amazing facilities such as an indoor pool with spa, a rooftop with sunbeds and al fresco dining area, rural options with sustainable values, and a variety of bedrooms incl. twins / double and bunk-beds. Our villas and guesthouses differ in price range and group size. Just let us know what type of team building trip you fancy and we’ll include the right accommodation to suit!
- Indoor heated pool with sliding patio doors & sauna
- Sunbathing area
- Terrace seating with amazing views
- Sustainable options
- Nice communal areas to hang out with the team
- Free wi-fi
Funchal Hostel & Apartments
Exclusive Hire Available
Small To Medium Groups
Funchal Central Location
In central Funchal city we have a quality, homely hostel with an annex apartment situated just across the road from each other. Comfortable with a nice modern standard A great base for those who want to be in the characteristic streets of Funchal and save on higher hotel prices. Choose between exclusive hire of one or both buildings.
- Can be hired exclusively, 1 annex or hostel or the 2 combined for larger groups
- Amazing central city location, yet a quiet neighbourhood with lovely Funchal character
- A mix of double or twin bed rooms with private en-suite bathrooms & dorm rooms with shared bathrooms
- Terrace garden
- Self-catering kitchens
- Basic continental breakfast included at the hostel
- Free wi-fi
Events & Parties
Experienced Event Planning
Parties, Meetings to AGMs
Full Events Service
If you would like to add any type of event to your company retreat in Madeira we are happy to plan and deliver that for you. As well as the travel & adventures side of the business we are also experienced events planners. So, from rooftop parties, to workshops, AGM’s and awards dinners – whatever you want to include just let us know.
- Full event planning and delivery
- Workshops & seminars
- Training events
- Private parties
- Beach parties or parties in nature (do something different)
- AV & sound covered
- DJs and live music
- Guest speakers
- We can help with any of your branding needs
Meditation & Relaxation
A happy and healthy team must be developed from the core, and wellness is essential to developing that. With your Big Blue Adventures retreat in Madeira you can include various wellness activities such as yoga or morning meditation, for some mindfulness before your meetings or pre adventure, or simply opt for a relaxing spa day with a range of treatments available including massages.
- Beginner friendly sessions to advanced on request
- Tailor-made wellness retreats and sessions to suit your team building event
- Yoga at the accommodation or in nature
- Meditation practices indoor or outdoor
- Various massage and body therapy treatments from sports massage to spa sessions
- Reduce stress levels, produce stringer mindsets and recharge your team with our wellness options
Coaching & Workshops
Expert Business Coaching
Inspire Your Team
If you are looking to enhance your team’s togetherness and learn some new skills to take your team to the next level, then we can also bring in one of our business coaches. We can tailor the workshops to suit the event and cover a variety of key areas from team communication, mindset to trust exercises.
- Run in nature or in meeting room event spaces
- Practical and theoretical sessions
- English, Portuguese and German speaking coaches
- Motivational speakers available with a variety of backgrounds including professional athletes and adventurers
- Great for combining with team adventures for a different perspective
Hosted Team Building Adventures
With any of our Big Blue adventures we always aim for a personal customer service (Travel & Hospitality Award winners for ‘excellence in customer service’) and have a friendly face there to welcome you to your corporate retreat in Madeira. We are on hand to host the key parts of your retreat so you can sit back and relax, we’ll do the organising for you and bring some good vibes too!
Local Transfers & Airport Transfers
If you need transport from your accommodation to our activities then we can arrange that for you, in fact it is usually expected on a group trip like a team building event. We have Jeeps, mini-busses and coaches available for groups of all sizes. We’ll usually include airport transfers as part of your package unless requested otherwise. Our transport options are also available for evening out returns to Funchal and various day-trips to surrounding areas.
Meals & Drinks
You can choose between Bed & Breakfast, half board or all-inclusive for your team building trip in Madeira. We can also add extras like a drinks-reception package, packed-lunch and BBQ nights. Just add it to your ‘get quote’ options and we will get that included in your team building package!
Pictures & Highlights Video
On our hosted team building adventures we take our GoPro cameras and shoot some great pictures & videos. We’ll send these to you afterwards and even edit a personal highlights video for your team, the best way to remember your corporate trip in Madeira!
Team Building Extras
There are lots of extras we can add to your team building trip in Portugal, including Poncha making and wine tasting and help with restaurant reservations & private event spaces. If you have any ideas, or would like more info on the extras we can provide, feel free to ask us on the get quote page.
Why Adventure With Us…
We work as one big team with our local activity providers, making sure that together we offer a high quality experience for teams. Each activity has been tried & tested, and personally chosen by us.
Hosted group adventure travel, with numbers between 6-200+ people. BBA offers an award winning service; we’ll always go the extra mile to ensure our packages are perfect for your team building needs.
Quality Team Time
Our corporate retreats provide a fun environment to reconnect offline! Nature, adventure and good vibes create the perfect setting to bounce fresh ideas around and to catch up on important team talks.
We settled on the coasteering package in the Algarve, and it turned out to be the perfect choice.
We were met by Nuno and the team, who picked all 16 of us up on time at our hotel (they even brought us pastel de natas!) Right from the start, they ensured everything we needed was sorted. The coasteering activity was awesome and the guys leading it were extremely helpful, professional and fun. The lunch that was provided was perfect for after the activities, and the restaurant setting of Benagil was fantastic! Nuno even brought us for and unexpected hike and tour around a local cove.
Big blue adventures made the whole experience easy for us, and ensured we had the best possible time during our short stay in Portugal! The team loved it, and I will definitely be booking again for next year!read more
More Corporate Retreats
Why We Love This…
“We love Madeira because the island offers tropical feels with hundreds of colourful flowers & plants, epic hikes through mountain ranges & Levadas and a spectacular coastline made for watersports. Some of my favourite things are hiking to one of the highest points of the island Pico Arieiro, exploring Madeira’s natural areas on a Jeep tour, wandering around the cobbled streets of Funchal and abseiling down waterfalls on a canyoning adventure.”