Active Corporate Retreats & Team Building in Madeira
Join us in Madeira for the ultimate team building or incentives getaway with stunning nature and outdoor activities
How about taking your team on a trip to the Hawaii of Europe? Madeira is a beautiful island destination (voted best island in the world several times) with lush sub-tropical nature, mountain peaks at nearly 2000m and dramatic coastlines, perfect for an active team building retreat. We have something for everyone here, from breath-taking hikes, to surfing and world-class canyoning – not to forget exploring and poncha! If you’re still in the planning stage, you might also like to check out our wider Team Building Activities Portugal and our Team Building Wales Packages.
Big Blue Adventures offers quality company retreats, combining group-friendly accommodation such as villas & hotels with a range of activities & experiences and from covering the essentials like local travel, food & drink to your important meetings and events. We tailor everything to your team’s needs, pulling in our expert knowledge and partnerships to deliver the perfect team getaway in Madeira. Make sure to check out the extras tab for more ideas and contact us via the quote button, the website chat or call us today.
Range of fun jumps
Madeira is well known for world-class canyoning and our team here are passionate locals who provide a safe, fun and professional adventure – perfect for those teams who want to push some boundaries! We have various levels from 1 up to 5, with L1 and L2 being suitable for complete beginners. Explore the island in a unique and adventurous way!
- Abseils ranging in sizes up to 15 and 30 metres on L1 and L2 with the other levels going far higher again
- Optional jumps ranging in size
- Slides and fun sections
- Many waterfall sections
- Explore beautiful Madeira nature up close
- All kit included – just bring swimwear
- Duration is approx 4 – 5 hours in total
- Can split teams between Level 1 and Level 2 depending on confidence levels
- Please contact us about the more extreme levels 3 – 5 if you wish to explore these
Beginner to advanced
Amazing tropical vibes
Quality lesson with low ratios
The Hawaii of Europe produces super picturesque surf spots with clean warm sea water all year round. We surf typically on the north east of Madeira for beginners and for the pros out there the west coast has been called world-class by Kelly Slater himself. Surf lessons provide a fun team building activity perfect boosting the feel good factor and has proven wellness benefits.
- Single 2-3 hour lessons we can create a multi-lesson surfcamp
- All kit included
- Friendly, experienced surf coaches who just love to get people surfing
- Warm waters
- All year round surf
- Porto da Cruz and close by is the main surf spot, at times we can do Seixal as well
- Works nicely with a yoga session before hand and a local levada walk or some Madeira rum tasting after the surf
- Feeling competitive? How about a private surf competition for your crew!
Climbing & Abseiling
Fun Team Trust Activity
Beginner to Advanced
Climbing & abseiling is a great activity for a team seeking to develop some trust and push some confidence boundaries through overcoming fears of heights. It’s also just a fun active adventure and we have a variety of options to suit all confidence and experience levels.
- 3 – 4 hour sessions
- Natural rock climbing spots
- Learn new skills or develop climbing techniques
- Can be specially adapted to be more team building focused
- Experienced climbing instructors
- Beginner level 1 (Canical)
- Intermediate level 2 10-50m climbs (Pico do Arieiro)
Team Building Challenges
Orienteering / Peddy Paper
Fun team v team games
If you’re looking for some fun team challenges and want to raise the competition amongst your group then we have plenty of great options from orienteering challenges to multi-activity adventures.
- Orienteering / map challenges in jeeps including zip-lining and hiking
- Funchal Peddy Paper including the famous basket toboggans, cable-cars, city sightseeing, photo challenges, food & wine tastings and more!
- Poncha making challenge
- Trust and communication activity challenges such as blindfold sections
- Adventure challenges to push the limits from multi-day hikes to large abseils & more. Great for team charity events!
Mountains with heights of 1862m
Famous Levada Walks
Dramatic Coastal Hikes
Madeira is a hiker’s dream. To come to this amazing sub-tropical heaven and not take in the breathtaking views on a levada walk or similar, would be a travel crime. With up to 3000km of levada walks, amazing coastlines and the mountain peaks of Pico Ruivo to explore – you are spoiled for choice!
- Various walks available from harder full day adventures to quick scenic walks handy for adding to itineraries
- Professional local hiking guides
- Available to combine with other experiences such as poncha making in the mountains, or swimming in natural pools for example
- Guests need to bring suitable shoes and hiking clothing
- Many ways to further enhance these adventures such as a sunrise hike or sunset finish
- Various length hikes from a few hours, 1/2 day to a full day adventure
- We can tailor hikes to fitness, confidence and the itinerary
- Add on team challenges and orienteering if you want that competitive edge or to learn new skills
Great way to explore Madeira
Beginner to Advanced
Mountain biking around Madeira is such a fun outdoor activity and a fantastic way to get close and explore the stunning landscapes on the island. We have so much variety to offer beginner, intermediate to more advanced technical riders. Our normal 1/2 day ride starts at the epic Pico Arieiro standing at 1818m and adventures down through a variety of terrains giving you a really exciting experience. Great activity for teams of all sizes.
- All mountain biking kit included, guests just need suitable clothing, good shoes and water etc
- Variety of routes available
- Typically a 1/2 day adventure but we can do full day or multi-day mountain biking rides
- You can add team challenges and orienteering to the mountain biking session
- Small to large groups
Jeep Tours & Exploring
Explore Levadas, Mountains & Coast
Combine Nature & Culture
Small to Large Groups
Jeep Tours are a popular way to explore the the breathtaking landscapes of Madeira. It’s a more adventurous mode of transport allowing us to cover great distances while also getting up close to nature. On our tours we can stop off at some of Maderia’s highlights along the way: from swimming in the natural pools, drinking poncha with a west coast sunset to being wowed by amazing high viewing points.
- From small tours for a few hours, to 1/2 days and full days
- Explore a variety of nature from forests, mountains, levadas, waterfalls, dramatic coastlines to soaking up culture with the locals
- Food & drinks experiences / variety of meals included such as sunset drinks or a true Madeira BBQ
- Take time to enjoy your stops including swimming & hiking
- Ask us about turning jeep tours into a team building challenge
- Add in poncha making with mountain views
- Add in cultural experiences such as a Madeira BBQ or the rum factory tour in Porto da Cruz
- Madeira wine tasting experiences
Boat Tours & Whale Watching
Whale Watching Tours
Private Coastal Tours
Madeira has such a stunning coastline offering a variety of terrains, warm clear blue seas to play in and the chance to see some marine wildlife up close. A boat trip therefore is a really good activity option to include on your corporate trip.
- Rhib boats and large catamarans available for a variety of tours
- Whale & dolphin watching tours done with care and respect for nature
- Blue flag catamaran tours with sustainability a central focus
- Stop for a swim, snorkelling and other fun
- Desertas Islands with a stop on the islands to explore (9 hour tour)
- Sunset tours
- Add on drinks and food
- Boat sizes from rhib boats (zodiac) for 16 people to catamarans for 70 to 200 people
Sit on-top kayaks
Amazing coastal views
Snorkelling & swimming
Sea kayaking is a fun, easy going watersport and a great way to get out on the water, connecting closer to the coastline of Madeira. You will be treated to amazing scenery and have a nice perspective of the island from the kayak. We can take your team on a variety of routes at different locations, adding in time for snorkelling and a swim in the clear warm Madeira water!
- Double sit on-top kayaks, easy to get going and great for covering some distance along the coast
- Various size groups: small to large
- South east Madeira (Machico), Funchal Bay or Camara do Lobos
- 3 – 4 hours activity
Ultimate Coastal Adventure
Coasteering is one of our favourites at Big Blue Adventures. It is the ultimate fun adventure, mucking around on the coast climbing, scrambling, jumping and playing in the swells. It’s a great way to get an adrenaline hit, put smiles on the team’s faces and get up close to the stunning coastline here in Madeira. It’s a natural team building activity as everyone helps each other through the course and supports bravery on jumps etc.
- Various jump heights from 2m up to 10m – (all optional)
- Flexible adventure, can be tailored to your adventure levels – something for everyone!
- Basic level of swimming & a moderate confidence in the water needed at least
- Safety kit, wetsuits and footwear included
- Location is south east of the island near Canical
Events & Parties
Experienced Event Planning
Parties, Meetings to AGMs
Full Events Service
If you would like to add any type of event to your company retreat in Madeira we are happy to plan and deliver that for you. As well as the travel & adventures side of the business we are also experienced events planners. So, from rooftop parties, to workshops, AGM’s and awards dinners – whatever you want to include just let us know.
- Full event planning and delivery
- Workshops & seminars
- Training events
- Private parties
- Beach parties or parties in nature (do something different)
- AV & sound covered
- DJs and live music
- Guest speakers
- We can help with any of your branding needs
Team Building Package Options
Multi-night or Single Day Trips
Travel, Food & Drink
5* Customer Service + Hosts
Everything we create is 100% tailor-made for you using our local network of partners and suppliers for the perfect team trip. We take pride in our award winning personal customer service and will be there from your enquiry through to hosting & delivering your team building event. When you’re ready, please feel free to request a quote or call us for a chat any time.
- Local and international travel & transfers (group flights can be booked via our partners)
- Food & drinks to suit your team building retreat. From self-catering packages, to fully catered retreats, we will even bring you the tastiest pasteis de nata in town!
- Multi-night packages with accommodation, or choose just a day trip / activity only sales if you wish
- Local team and suppliers – aiming to support independent local companies
- Small enough to care and big enough to cope!
- Flexible and approachable team building and retreat service here to support you 7 days a week
- Green travel is the goal! As well as conducting beach & nature cleans, we also work with the awesome team at Mossy Earth who run tree planting and rewilding projects across the world. Each team building group has 1 x tree ‘at least’ planted in their name with the option to buy and plant more!
- We always make the extra efforts to limit plastic use on our trips plus we recycle and think sustainably
Yoga & Wellness
Outdoor & Indoor Yoga
Meditation & Relaxation
From a sunrise yoga session overlooking the ocean, to meditation practices in the forests, adding wellness sessions and workshops to your retreat will provide your team with many benefits of relaxation & good health essential for a strong team.
- Beginner friendly sessions to advanced on request
- Tailor-made wellness retreats and sessions to suit your team building event
- Yoga at the accommodation or in nature
- Meditation practices indoor or outdoor
- Nutritional therapy & healthy eating classes to boost the health and mood of your team with some fantastic knowledge and tips to take home with you
- Various massage and body therapy treatments from sports massage to spa sessions
- Reduce stress levels, produce stringer mindsets and recharge your team with our wellness options
Expert Business Coaching
Inspire Your Team
If you are looking to enhance your team’s togetherness and learn some new skills to take your team to the next level, then we can also bring in one of our business coaches. We can tailor the workshops to suit the event and cover a variety of key areas from team communication, mindset to trust exercises.
- Run in nature or in meeting room event spaces
- Practical and theoretical sessions
- English, Portuguese and German speaking coaches
- Motivational speakers available with a variety of backgrounds including professional athletes and adventurers
- Great for combining with team adventures for a different perspective
Small to medium sized groups.
CR7, Madeira’s proud son is obviously the big feature to this stylish hotel. But, the CR7 is a also a fantastic option even if you aren’t an avid football or Ronaldo fan. Complete with stunning views across the bay and up the hills to Monte. A perfect choice for corporate groups seeking a Funchal base that offers comfort, modern style, good facilities and some more lively vibes in Madeira.
- Rooftop pool with loungers, garden, exercise stations, sauna and small bar
- Based in central Funchal by the marina with a short walk to the town centre
- On-site bar & restaurant with tasty bites, good cocktails & drinks
- Twin or double en-suite rooms
- Small meetings and events possible to run in the bar & restaurant area or we can run bigger events offsite nearby
- Really nice park opposite for extras like yoga, poncha making classes or just for relaxing etc.
- Free wi-fi
Funchal Boutique Hotel
Small or large size groups
Arty, modern lifestyle hostel with a quirky rooftop cocktail bar perfect for your team socials & events. Variety of en-suite rooms, meeting space, restaurant and a very friendly team make it a quality option for a team getaway.
- Rooftop bar and garden, great for dinner nights or even rooftop yoga!
- Prime central Funchal location
- Modern with fantastic character
- Meeting space for approx 30-50 people
- Double or twin rooms
- Free wi-fi
Churchill Bay Hotel
Small to large corporate groups.
Inspired by the works of Winston Churchill, this 4* hotel is in a prime location overlooking the scenic fishing harbour of Câmara de Lobos, near Funchal. A classical meets modern hotel in style, with quality touches making it a fantastic base for any team looking to treat themselves, or a client.
- Rooftop pool, terrace bar & restaurant
- 57 rooms split between classic double or twins in the main building, or deluxe rooms with sea views in small villa buildings. All en-suite
- 1 x restaurant and bar in the main building with indoor and promenade seating
- Nice small town with shops, bars & restaurants, quiet enough to relax and has some options for some nightlife
- Taxi ride to Funchal is easy to arrange
- Small event space up to 30-40 people
- Free wi-fi
Quinta do Arco Village
Small to medium size groups
Set on stunning northern side of the island. Quinto do Arco Village is set up peacefully in sub-tropical flora gardens with modern self-catering villas or traditional mountain bungalows. On site you have fresh produce, swimming pools and one of the largest rose gardens in Europe. If you want Madeira nature – this is it!
- 2 outdoor swimming pools
- Twin or double bed en-suite villas with a living room and kitchen
- Classical mountain villas with log burning fireplaces
- Views of mountains, forests, laurissilva and the Atlantic Ocean
- Best in spring to autumn months
- Meeting room on site for small events up to 30approx people
- Restaurant 100 yards up the road where breakfast is served and included, otherwise we would include eating out as part of our day trips etc.
- Lovely levada walks nearby
- Free wi-fi
Funchal Hostel & Guesthouse
Small to medium sized groups.
In central Funchal city we have a quality, homely hostel with an annex guesthouse situated just across the road from each other. Comfortable with a nice quality standard, both buildings have local architectural design throughout along with modern touches. A great base for those who want to be in the characteristic streets of Funchal and save on higher hotel prices.
- Can be hired exclusively, 1 annex or hostel or the 2 combined for larger groups
- Amazing central city location, yet a quiet neighbourhood with lovely Funchal character
- A mix of double or twin bed rooms with private en-suite bathrooms & dorm rooms with shared bathrooms
- Terrace garden
- Self-catering kitchens
- Basic continental breakfast included
- Lounge room
- Free wi-fi
Solar da Bica Guesthouse
Groups up to 20 in size
A small homely guesthouse run by a nice local family with sustainable values. Set within beautiful northern Madeira landscapes with mountain views. A classy accommodation choice with modern features perfect for a team to use exclusively. Close to the popular tourist must see spots Sao Vicente, Seixal and the natural swimming pools at Porto Moniz.
- Indoor heated pool with sliding patio doors
- Sunbathing area
- Terrace seating with amazing mountain views and the Laurissilva forests
- Fresh produce from their own garden and local suppliers
- Restaurant and bar on site for guests
- Perfect for as an exclusive small hotel or guesthouse takeover for a team up to 20 in size (based on individual non-sharing beds)
- Free wi-fi
What group sizes can you take?
We are specialists in group travel for all sorts of team sizes, from 6 people up to 400+, with no real cap on what we can do for an event. We do of course have safety ratios with our activities and are limited on participants per session, but as a collective event there is a lot we can cover to keep your team happy and on the go. Do contact us to discuss your needs and we will go the extra miles to make sure your team event is epic!
Some people in our team don't want to do one or some of the activities, what can we do?
This does happen of course, especially in teams. We do love for all people to push themselves and try something different. If it’s fear that’s blocking these individuals, or a worry of fitness levels, we are always happy to have a friendly and supportive chat to help put them at ease. It can after all be daunting doing something out of the ordinary, like a watersport if you have never tried that before. But the results are always of pure joy and pride, and it unites teams in a unique way – so it is worth finding that courage and get involved.
If there is no way they can participate then of course that is fine. We typically find them a suitable alternative activity or experience to run alongside the main activity, then we can rendezvous after that session as a group. And if doing a multi-activity team building retreat then we can ensure there is a nice balance to the package where the whole team at stages are involved together as a crew.
Some people in the group can't swim, what can we do about that?
We typically find those guests unable to swim a more suitable activity, such as a dry based activity like a hike or climbing etc, or even a watersport that is low risk; such as a kayaking tour with all the necessary buoyancy kit on. Most, if not all, of the activities are beginner friendly and we work to safe ratios of instructor to guests, plus you have the luxury of us as your hosts on top – so it is a great environment for some people to overcome some fears of the water, if they are up to that. Do let us know when you enquire about any individuals with this concern and we will factor this into the package options.
We are complete beginners to watersports / wellness / outdoor activities - is that ok?
Absolutely – everything is tailor-made to suit you! We regularly provide team activities where most if not all of the crew are beginners at the activities or wellness. It’s great to do something different and new, and we are happy to be here to enjoy that with you.
How do we pay and secure our booking?
Once you’ve made contact and received your tailor-made quote and wish to secure your trip, you simply just need to let us know. From there we will send you an invoice to obtain a non-refundable deposit, which is usually 30% but that can vary depending on the complexity of the package. The deposit secures everything and blocks that dates off. There is then nothing to pay until your final balance deadline which is usually 6 – 8 weeks for a multi-night package, or 3 weeks for an activity, or day only sale no accommodation.
Payments are paid via bank transfer into our secure PTS Trust Account that complies with UK Package Travel Regulations for that added peace of mind. We can on request take credit or debit card payments over the phone.
We are here to make your life easy as easy as we can, any issues or questions you may have in regards to your payments do just give us a call on +447985368956.
How much will it cost?
Everything is 100% tailor-made for you! So, we can create a Big Blue Adventure to suit specific budgets and what you would like to include for the perfect team getaway. The more activities and package elements you include, the more that package will cost. It also depends on your final numbers of people attending in the group, generally larger groups have a cheaper per person rate over smaller groups as there are more people to split the core package costs between. Best thing to do is request a quote – it costs you nothing to start the ball rolling and say hello, we can send a great package your way from there.
Can you include flights? And other travel?
We can cover everything from the moment you step foot on a Big Blue Adventure. That includes transfers from the airport, to your activities, nightclubs, sightseeing – you name it! We can also help with any transfers from your business to the retreat destination, be that across the UK or across Europe should you wish to avoid flying and use a bus, train or ferry.
While Big Blue Adventures are not ATOL protected we have teamed up with a fantastic group we work closely with to provide flights. So, collectively we can get a quote your way and offer you group flights for your team trip. We can help with all group sizes and it can save you a big admin project. When you are ready, do ask us about adding flights and travel to your team adventure.
Are meals and drinks included?
Of course, keeping you all well fed during your time on a Big Blue Adventure is vital to the experience. Typically we cover breakfast, lunch and dinner + a suitable amount of drinks along the way. It’s not just about energy levels though, as we like to connect guests to local culture and include good social times through tasty food and some drinks. That can be a BBQ on a boat, unique sunset picnic, to a nice sit down dinner party for the team.
If you have vegans, vegetarians, halal or any other dietary requirements that’s absolutely fine. We work hard to team up with the right catering teams & venues to cater for the variety we find in modern teams.
Like all elements it is bespoke and we will meet your style, budget and needs.
Can you help sports teams and clubs?
Yes of course, we love to help sports teams with certain team bonding events, a pre-season tour to any other team trip you have in mind. Think of Big Blue Adventures as your friendly go-to for all your sports team trip needs, here to help as much as you want:
- Accommodation to suit your requirements including gyms, good catering etc
- Travel and private transport
- Events management: from meeting spaces for team talks, to parties and awards
- Motivational speakers and workshops
- Hospitality: meals and drinks
- Arranging local games and tours
- Sightseeing and tours
- Help booking training facilities and private spaces
Why Adventure With Us…
Hosted group adventure travel, with numbers between 6-100+ people. BBA offers an award winning service; we’ll always go the extra mile to ensure our packages are perfect for your team.
We settled on the coasteering package in the Algarve, and it turned out to be the perfect choice.
We were met by Nuno and the team, who picked all 16 of us up on time at our hotel (they even brought us pastel de natas!) Right from the start, they ensured everything we needed was sorted. The coasteering activity was awesome and the guys leading it were extremely helpful, professional and fun. The lunch that was provided was perfect for after the activities, and the restaurant setting of Benagil was fantastic! Nuno even brought us for and unexpected hike and tour around a local cove.
Big blue adventures made the whole experience easy for us, and ensured we had the best possible time during our short stay in Portugal! The team loved it, and I will definitely be booking again for next year!read more
More Corporate Retreats
Why We Love This…
“We love Madeira because the island offers tropical vibes with hundreds of colourful flowers & plants, epic hikes through mountain ranges & Levadas and a spectacular coastline made for watersports. One of my favourite things is to hike to one of the highest points of the island Pico Arieiro, explore Madeira’s natural areas on a jeep tour, wander around the cobbled streets of Funchal and abseil down waterfalls on a canyoning adventure.”